Ellen C. Schurdak
Ellen C. Schurdak focuses her practice on complex litigation, which covers a large array of practice areas. She prides herself on being able to explain what can be a daunting, complex legal process and breaking it into simpler terms. She offers her clients choices, and is prepared to zealously represent each client, whether it be in a courtroom, arguing in a mediation session, arbitration or before an appellate court.
Ms. Schurdak is chair of the firm’s Complex Litigation Practice Group. Because of her concentration in complex litigation, Ms. Schurdak practices in a wide variety of areas, such as:
- Business dissolution
- Business valuation disputes
- Commission/bonus payment disputes
- Employment disputes involving claims of discrimination, non-compete and related agreements
- Contract disputes
- Will contests
- Trust administration disputes
- Estate administration disputes
- Charter School Revocation/Non-Renewal hearings
- Real estate transaction disputes
- Real estate development disputes
- Homeowner association disputes
- Complex divorces and custody matters
Ms. Schurdak also offers consultation services to businesses, with a focus on minimizing a business’ exposure to litigation. Most recently, she has been appointed to serve as a hearing officer in charter school non-renewal/revocation hearings.
Prior to arriving at KingSpry, Ms. Schurdak developed her litigation skills as an Assistant Public Defender, Assistant District Attorney, and in private practice in Monroe County. Ms. Schurdak was also judicially appointed as a Domestic Relations Advocate for Monroe County. In said position, Ms. Schurdak further refined her litigation skills in the domestic law area.
Ms. Schurdak, as a judicial appointee, has previously served on the Monroe County Bench Bar Committee. She has appeared on the radio and on television discussing child support matters. She has also been featured in the Wall Street Journal for her prior service in the public interest law forum. Ms. Schurdak has been recognized in the press for her advocacy skills and persistence in successfully arguing a case that resulted in a change in Pennsylvania law before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Ms. Schurdak has extensive appellate court experience which includes appearing before the Pennsylvania Superior Court, Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. She is a member of the Mediation Panel for Monroe County and she received a rating of “AV” from Martindale-Hubbell.
Ms. Schurdak earned her Juris Doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania Law School and she earned undergraduate degrees at Fairfield University in Connecticut, where she graduate summa cum laude, and the London School of Economics.
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Middle and Eastern District Federal Courts of Pennsylvania
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
Memberships and Associations
- Monroe County Bar Association
- Northampton County Bar Association
- Lehigh County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Former Board Secretary, Kemerer Museum, Historic Downtown Bethlehem
- Former Vice President of the Board for Pocono Services for Family and Children (Head Start)
- Former Board Member for the Philadelphia Friends of Outward Bound